Welcome to Solomon Middle School
409 North Pine
Solomon, Kansas 67480
High School Office Telephone: (785) 655-2551
on Twitter @SolomonMSHS
Welcome to Solomon Middle School
Welcome to Solomon Middle and High School! I hope viewers find our district web page informative and useful as they navigate through the myriad of items occurring in our district.
As principal, it is my goal to help provide the best educational experience for our students. I believe we have a highly qualified and dedicated staff that are committed to providing outstanding opportunities for our students. As a parent of two elementary students, I understand how important relationships with caring adults are in children’s lives. The size of our district provides our students the opportunity to build those relationships as our class sizes are small, and many of our certified and classified staff members are involved with our athletic and activity organizations. As a parent I appreciate the dedication of our teaching staff. Listed below are a series of strategies and programs that have or will be implemented in our middle and high school within the next school year.
- Distribution of a weekly administrative memo and monthly school newsletter to all parents and stakeholders.
- Bi – monthly school site council meetings in which parents are welcome to attend and express their viewpoints regarding the education of their children.
- Implementation of a Building Improvement Committee, consisting of core and elective middle and high school teachers. This team meets on a monthly basis.
- Implementation of a District Curriculum Committee, committed to updating our curriculum to the new Kansas College and Career Ready Standards. In addition our teaching staff will receive intensive professional development during the 2013-14 school year in regards to these new standards.
- Adoption of a new teacher evaluation system which evaluates teacher effectiveness and growth.
- Seasonal, coaches, parents, and administrative meetings to discuss the upcoming athletic and activity seasons.
- Formal administrative walk-throughs of certified teaching staff.
- After school tutoring program.
- A structured student discipline policy.
- Updated technology throughout the district – student iPads, classroom smart boards.
- Updated mass communication device to inform parents of school cancellations and other pertinent information.
- Weekly behavior incentive drawings for students. We reward positive classroom behavior by issuing students a “Caught You Card,” which they turn in for the opportunity to win a weekly raffle prize. We provide our winners gift cards to places such as, Finish Line, McDonald’s, Subway, Amazon, etc.
- Implementation of a Student Improvement Team to monitor at-risk students, and provide resources and ideas for those students to be successful. This group meets on a monthly basis.
- Winter and spring incentives for our students based on academics, behavior, and attendance.
- One to one iPad initiative for our 6th through 12th grade students.
- Individual Student Plans for all 6th through 12th grade students which provide a pathway and a tool for them to explore college, technical school, or the work force.
- Individual student email accounts and iTunes accounts to communicate with teachers, coaches, and sponsors.
- A wide array of on-site and on-line concurrent courses in which students can take classes for high school and college credit.
- Degree and certification tracks for students through local community colleges.
- Visual notification system to allow visitor’s inside the building – all school doors are locked throughout the day.
I truly believe we are a progressive school district, highly interested in providing the best education as we possibly can. If you have any questions please email, call, or stop in for a visit. Think Solomon!
Solomon Middle High School Principal